Looking to achieve a goal this summer, besides finishing the beach read you picked up or mastering the perfect mojito? How about quitting smoking?
We know you’ve heard all about what smoking does to your heart, lungs, and other internal organs, but what about the largest organ you have–your skin? Your skin relies on the intake of oxygen to function properly. When you smoke, the nicotine and other chemical in cigarettes restricts the blood vessels and severely limits the amount of oxygen available.
This results in:
- Grey or yellow skin
- Increased chance of psoriasis. You are between 20% and 60% more likely to have psoriasis depending on how long you smoke.
- Yellow teeth and tooth loss.
- Wrinkles and other signs of premature aging.
- Thinner hair
Also it’s not just your face that turns yellow or grey, your fingers do too. Plus, your skin takes much longer to heal from scrapes and wounds, which in turn leads to more scarring.
If you do decide to quit smoking, your body will immediately begin to heal itself. The amount of time it takes to heal will depend on how long you’ve smoked.
Check out this image to learn more about the healing timeline following your decision to quit smoking:
There are several ways to combat the signs of aging when you quit smoking, including regular chemical peels and facial treatments. We would also recommend using a collagen-building product, like PCA Skin’s Collagen Hydrator to reverse the damage.
If you are interested in scheduling your first treatment or if you have questions about our products, please comment or give us a call at 770-704-5614. We are happy to schedule a consultation to figure out your skin care needs.
Last week, we talked about taking care of your skin during the summer (and year round!) This week, we want to focus on hair care during the summer as we find that people often forget that the outdoors (sun, chlorine, sand, saltwater) can be rough on hair. The strands in your hair are coated with a protective hydrolipidic film, which breaks down over time. Chemical treatments, heat styling, swimming in chlorinated water can speed up this process, which is why by the end of summer hair tends to feel a bit fried.
Here are a few easy things to do to protect your hair during the summer months:
- Soak Your Hair–Before you get in the pool, soak your hair in the shower. Your hair acts like a sponge, so instead of having it soak up all the chlorine and algaecide in the pool, instead give it a thorough rinse with clean water.
- Au Naturel–In the summer, leave the straightener and blow dryer in the drawer. Let it air dry to prevent dehydration.
- Wear a Hat–Or use a hair product with sunscreen in it! These will protect your hair and scalp from damaging UVA/UVB rays which will add to the fried feeling.
- Coconut Oil–When you head to the beach, braid your hair and then put a little coconut oil on the ends. This will act as a protective layer between your hair and the saltwater.
Not as trendy, but wear a swim cap! These do great work at keeping the pool chemicals off your hair. However, if you wind up with slightly green hair at the end of summer, we can help. Our shampoo and style service can be modified to get rid of the green with ease!
Call 770-704-5614 or Book Now.
We recently added a new product to our arsenal in the spa, L’Oreal Pro Fiber. Pro Fiber has three different levels of treatment based on how much hair damage you have. Our stylists will assess your hair and then choose a corresponding treatment plan. For example:
- The Pro Fiber Revive would be used on fine to medium hair that has been slightly damaged from heat styling.
- The Pro Fiber Restore would be used on hair that is frequently colored, highlighted or chemically treated, as well as regularly heat styled.
- The Pro Fiber Recover would be used on medium to coarse hair that has been double processed, chemically treated, and regularly heat styled.
After your shampoo and scalp massage, the stylist will use the concentrate and masque on your hair to ensure nourishment and to correct damage. After a short wait while the products work their way into your hair, your hair will be rinsed and styled.
The Pro Fiber regimen has been hailed as the best new formula from L’Oreal for damaged hair. We are excited to use it in our salon. If you’d like to schedule an appointment to try Pro Fiber on your hair, click here.
Before and After a Pro Fiber Treatment by Barbara
Have questions? Talk to us in the comments.