Our very first blog post is going to be about something near and dear to my heart- sunscreen and skin protection. Every year, 5 million people are treated for skin cancer in the United States and that number is going to get higher.
We love when summer is here and the sun is shining. Everyone is outside hanging by the pool, grilling burgers, or working in their yard. Hopefully, they all have sunscreen on, but most likely they have forgotten or they haven’t reapplied or they missed a spot. A recent study in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology reported that the majority of Americans are not regularly applying sunscreen when they are outdoors. According the report, only 14.3% of men and 29.9% of women wear sunscreen when going outside for more than an hour.
Yikes. If you count yourself in the majority of people not wearing sunscreen regularly, here are some tips to help you choose the right sunscreen and apply it correctly:
- Broad-Spectrum SPF 30 or Higher—This is the kind of sunscreen you should purchase because it blocks both UVA and UVB rays. It is best to choose a natural sunscreen with zinc oxide rather than one with all the added chemicals.
- Ounce of Prevention—Pour an ounce or two tablespoons of sunscreen into your hand. Make sure you apply it 30 minutes before you go outside.
- All Over—Don’t forget to apply it to your hands, feet, ears, and neck.
- Is it Expired?—Take a look at the label to make sure your sunscreen from last year hasn’t expired.
- Hats & Glasses—Remember to wear polarized sunglasses and a hat when you are outside.
No one wants to have wrinkles, age spots and other signs of sun damage as they get older. Be sure to take the time to protect your skin now.
If you do begin to notice effects from the sun on your face, we are able to help. Practically Perfect Day Spa is the only spa in the north metro area that currently uses the Hydra-Fusion Facial System. The Hydra-Fusion Facial is a revolutionary dual action, abrasion-free facial system that repairs and replenishes the skin through a combination of superior aqua-foliation and nutrient infusion. It stimulates circulation, promotes skin cell renewal and hydrates facial skin with a unique nutrient based, abrasion-free aqua-foliation system.
Questions about sunscreen or the Hydra-Fusion Facial System? Chat us up in the comments or give the spa a call at 770-704-5614.